What is the legal term for reducing an assault charge. I'm…

Customer Question
What is the legal...

What is the legal term for reducing an assault charge. I'm thinking it starts with a p?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Bŕitish Columbia, I thought this was a Canadian site

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I'm the victim.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm am wanting to talk or write a letter the crown to ask that the charge be dismissed or at least reduced to a lesser charge that would not result in a criminal record

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

I believe you are asking about the accused making a deal or a plea bargain to plead guilty either to a lesser charge or to this charge but getting a reduced sentence.

Is that what you mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

have the accused plead guilty or bargain a lesser charge. I also want to add to my statement with the crown and request the bargain or dismiss the charges. I have learned today that the investigating officer may have misconstrued a portion of what i had said the night of the incident. Is there a way that I am legally able to see his report?

No there is not.

But if the accused has a lawyer you can tell the lawyer that you are concerned about this as the accused and the lawyer will see the statement.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?