I'm a tradesman. I have recently started working for myself…

Customer Question
I'm a tradesman. I...

I'm a tradesman. I have recently started working for myself and have 3 overdue invoices for my services. Net 30 is on invoice. This company hasn't even looked at my invoices... How do I move forward to collect money owed. About $6000

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Sask

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did you do work on properties?

New build residential. I installed the stone masonry

But is this for one or several properties?

3 properties

Did you complete the work less than 40 days ago for these properties?

It's been longer than 40 days

Then it is too late to register liens on title.

That means that your best next step is to send the company a demand letter giving them a deadline for paying you in full. Tell them that if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

Then if they don't pay you by the deadline you can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can further assist you.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there any proper wording a company uses in these letters? Legally speaking of course, that needs to be included so I don't "shoot myself in the foot?".

You can write "Without Prejudice" at the top of the letter and then it cannot be used against you in court.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?