Does a publishing contract through a corporation protect the…

Customer Question
Does a publishing contract...

Does a publishing contract through a corporation protect the author from liability for liable, errors etc

Lawyer's Assistant: Since business law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the corporation is registered in?

Calgary, Alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also wondering about taxes personally vs through a corporation

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you asking how as an author you can best protect yourself from personal legal liability?

Incorporating is a good idea in the sense that your corporation and not you would be liable in many cases.

But if you are the author of the book itself even if your corporation enters into the contract with the publisher someone outside in the public could still potentially sue you. This could be the case, for example, if they allege defamation.

So aside from incorporating it would be best to also ensure yourself so if you are sued you are not only covered but your legal fees are as well.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?