How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 107656
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to protect my son's inheritance from his wife. How do

This answer was rated:

I want to protect my son's inheritance from his wife. How do I do it?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Alberta, Canada
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have a will that leave our money equally to our three children
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have some money, vacation property in Ontario and a condo in Calgary

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you asking about how to leave your son his inheritance and ensure that his wife will not share in it if they separate or divorce?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has a young son

Mainly this is up to your son. So long as he keeps all inherited assets separated from family assets they are not shared as they are exempt from being characterized as family assets unless they are intermingled with family assets.

But your lawyer who drafts the Will will also include a standard provision that makes it clear that even the income derived from any assets are not included in the definition of family assets.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you that answered my concern . Laurie

You are very welcome.

Take good care.