I want to protect my son's inheritance from his wife. How do…

I want to protect...

I want to protect my son's inheritance from his wife. How do I do it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Alberta, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a will that leave our money equally to our three children

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have some money, vacation property in Ontario and a condo in Calgary

12/7/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you asking about how to leave your son his inheritance and ensure that his wife will not share in it if they separate or divorce?

He has a young son

Mainly this is up to your son. So long as he keeps all inherited assets separated from family assets they are not shared as they are exempt from being characterized as family assets unless they are intermingled with family assets.

But your lawyer who drafts the Will will also include a standard provision that makes it clear that even the income derived from any assets are not included in the definition of family assets.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you that answered my concern . Laurie

You are very welcome.

Take good care.