My boyfriend moved in with me 15 months ago, he was only

renting. His name is...
my boyfriend moved in with me 15 months ago, he was only renting. His name is ***** ***** anything. When he was living with me, he built a shed and gazebo which he paid for. We are splitting up and he wants money for these now or he states he will take them down
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: this is in Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, I am in Ontario
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I guess I just want to know if I have to pay him or is he legally allowed to remove the structure
12/5/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What was the agreement about in terms of the shed and the gazebo. For example was this a gift? Or did he do this because he was living in the house for free?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
He was only paying me $500 per month for rent. It was something he wanted as we assume we would be living together for good

You can tell him that in your view this was paid for in lieu of fair market rent and so you will sue him if he takes the structures down.

And you can sue him in Small Claims Court if necessary.

But really if he starts taking them down call the police and they will stop him. They are on your private property. In fact he can be charged with mischief if he does anything to them.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Thank you. He’s refusing to leave the house until January. He has not paid me rent for Dec yet. Frustrating. Thanks again.

I am sorry to hear this.

He has no right to remain. Legally you can change the locks but the police don't always understand the law and may require you to let him in. It is really the luck of the draw with the police. Some will even remove him without a court order.

Debra, Lawyer

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer