Just curious if I have any grounds to file a civil case - I…

Customer Question
Hi Debra - just...

Hi Debra - just curious if I have any grounds to file a civil case - I recently was let go from my job (they states they were opting to use a clause in my agreement) - however I believe it stemmed from an email that was sent to differnt people in my work that included a newspaper clipping of a recent 'assault' charge I received (personal not work related). The person who sent the email thought they should now and included other documents (consumer proposal information) as he was included on that. So a huge breach in privacy and resulted in losing my job. Do I have a case to file against that individual for a $ amount (lost income, distress, potential of finding comparable job etc) - my performance was not an issue at work. Just curious if its worth pursing..........thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I reside in Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is the basic overview - not looking at going to my employer but against the person who sent the email and ALL of the personal information.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/4/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did the person state lies or actually just provide accurate information that harmed you?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!