Can I sue my sister for not letting me know that my mother…

Customer Question
Can I sue my...

Can I sue my sister for not letting me know that my mother left me money for my wedding? Before my mother passed away for four years ago, she told me she left money for me and my sister's wedding. My sister who is older than me got married before my mother passed away and I got married last year but she didn't give me any money for my wedding.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I haven't done anything. Like I said, she passed away four years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also i found out that 4 year ago my sister sat down with my two brothers to make arrangements for my mother's funeral and wasn't there to hear anything. I felt that it was a secret arrangement. I need closure.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/3/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for your loss and for this difficult situation.

Was there a Will and if so who was the executor?

If not who applied to administer your mother's estate?

Thank you. I don't know but i heard my mother signed some documents to her in the hospital when my father present. When I went to visit the cemetary office after my mother was buried, I was told she is the power of attorney.
I heard my father was present in the hospital when my mother signed documents over to my sister.

This is not quite adding up.

Is your father still living?

And do you think your mother's full estate went to your father?

The office at the cemetary where she was buried told me she is the power of attorney so i assume she has power of attorney. I want to know if i can sue her for emotional distress. I need closure

POA is not for when the person has died. It is for when they are living.

You cannot sue your sister for emotional distress. If there was a Will and you were left money and did not receive it that is fraud.

So what you should do is first go to the local courthouse and ask for a copy of all that is in your mother's estate file.

There you will see who was in charge of the estate and also see what your mother did in her Will.

If she left you something and you didn't get sent legal documents and a copy of the Will then something has gone terribly wrong. But it could be that your mother left her full estate to your father.

If you are saying that your mother gave your sister money for you and for her outside of the Will before she died then you could sue your sister for that money and for interest etc.

That would also be fraud.

So it may be that your best next step after checking with the courthouse is to consult with a lawyer who does estate litigation face to face.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

my father is still living

Did you read my full answer?

I don't know anything. I heard that my two brothers and sister sat around my parents dining-room table two days after she died while my father apparently was in the bedroom resting talking about the funeral and no information was give to me and my other two brothers.

But did you see my suggestions as to how to go forward?

Basicly, we just showed up at the viewing and the funeral. She passed away February 28, 2013 at 9:28pm. and buried march 2013. We didn't know where she was going to be buried until the day of the funeral.
We are six siblings. Two females and 4 males
The year she died, she gave us $1,000 each and I told my aunt in america what happened and she said my mother would have given us more money than that. I told my aunt about that mother said she had wedding money put away for me and my sister, she said your mother would have done that. And another thing, my sister and her husband and two sons went to Florida/Walt Disney the same year my mother died and she never had the money to go to Walt disney before until my mother's death
My sister got married before my mother passed away and I got married last year 2016 and no money was given to me
My question is. Can I sue my sister?
Debra, Lawyer