In edmonton alberta canada do you have to be fingerprinted…

Customer Question
In edmonton alberta canada...

In edmonton alberta canada do you have to be fingerprinted before you go to the youth court date

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

In Edmonton Alberta Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just my law must a 16 yr old have to be fingerprinted before the set court date?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

The law does not treat young accused any differently when it comes to fingerprints. In fact the Identification of Criminals Act expressly applies to young persons. This is set out in the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Here is the specific provision:

Identification of Criminals Act applies

• 113. (1) The Identification of Criminals Act applies in respect of young persons.

• Marginal note:Limitation

(2) No fingerprint, palmprint or photograph or other measurement, process or operation referred to in the Identification of Criminals Act shall be taken of, or applied in respect of, a young person who is charged with having committed an offence except in the circumstances in which an adult may, under that Act, be subjected to the measurements, processes and operation.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.