Ive been with the same woman for 30 some yrs we are not

Customer Question
Ive been with the...

Ive been with the same woman for 30 some yrs we are not married but we have a house together can she evict me and what rights doi have to the house

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in medicine hat alberta canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet but she says she talked to a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And thats what he says

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are both your names on title to the house?

Then she cannot require you to leave anymore than you can required her to leave. You both own the home and you each have an equal right to occupy it.

If she spoke to a lawyer and I am sure this is what the lawyer told her.

But if you are separating ultimately one of you will have to buy the other out or the house will have to be sold. So as she has seen a lawyer your best next step is to do so as well. But, until you do you should most assuredly not move out and not agree to anything.

Does that help as a starting point?

I am about to go to bed but will check back in the morning to see if you still need me.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer