If my company fails to train me on a piece of equipment.

Customer Question
If my company fails...

If my company fails to train me on a piece of equipment. Such as a walk behind snow brush and i get injured while operating the equipment. Can i sue, or can i out right refuse to use the equipment until the provide me the training require. Also is it my responsibility to train myself by looking it up online or is it theirs? Thanks for your time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oh edmonton alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats all thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that it sounds like you are in a difficult situation.

You cannot sue if you are hurt because you have to make a claim to Workers' Compensation.

If you believe it is too dangerous to use the equipment without their training you then you certainly should not use the equipment. If you are dismissed for refusing to do the work it would be wrongful dismissal and you could sue for damages.

I suggest that you call the Occupational Health and Safety Branch and get some advice from them:

https://work.alberta.ca/occupational-health-safety/ohs-laws.html

I hope that helps as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?