I a builders lien (form 5) on a client. He wants me to

Customer Question
I laid a builders...

I laid a builders lien (form 5) on a client. He wants me to release the lien (form C Section 233) on his word that he will pay me what is owed once the lien is released. I do not trust he will. He tells me that his bank (where his mortgage is and funds are frozen due to the lien) will do nothing. This is new to me. In the distant past I laid two liens. After a short time I received letters from, I suppose, lawyers for the bank that these people had their mortgage funds in. The letters assured me that I would receive my monies and all I had to do was sign something that came with the letter. The fellow that wants me to release the lien with no assurance he'll pay me told me if I don't do this he will go to a lawyer and force me to take him to claims court and that my lien will be expunged not in the full year from date of registration but can be expunged in 21 days!....Is this true? What am I to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

British Columbia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

A little

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

No it's not true. The bank has not frozen his accounts because of the lien. He is being dishonest.

He can either pay the money into court and then you can release the lien or he can pay the money into a trust account of your lawyer and then you will release the lien.

That is how it is always done and there is simply no need to trust him.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?