If an employee is contracted to drive bus and is paid a flat…

Customer Question
If an employee is...

If an employee is contracted to drive bus and is paid a flat rate per day, but is working 13 hours a day, is there a certain amount of hours he should work before overtime sets in on a weekly basis ? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is in alberta canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Seasonal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/30/2017
Lawyer: DMWEsq,
 replied 7 months ago
DMWEsq

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: DMWEsq,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry, it looks like this is a Canada law question and you were inadvertently re-routed. Let me opt out and tell our moderators about this issue Thanks!

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am a lawyer in Canada and happy to help.

Yes you are entitled to overtime.

Overtime is all hours worked over 8 hours a day or 44 hours a week, whichever is greater. You are entitled to at least 1.5 times your regular wage rate.

There are exceptions and also special treatment of employees in certain industries but you don't fall within any of these special cases.

I suggest you contact the Employment Standards Branch for some help. Here is a link to how you can file a complaint and their contact information:

https://escs.humanservices.alberta.ca/Complainant/Claim/GettingStarted.aspx

I suggest you call first.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?