If my 19yo son dropped out of school without my knowing in…

Customer Question
If my 19yo son...

If my 19yo son dropped out of school without my knowing in January and started working full time. He decided to go out of town for school. I asked him about it, he declined. He applied for OSAP. His mother has now contacted me to say I am legally obligated to resume child support. I stopped payment in February when I discovered he left school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ontario, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I've considered legal aid

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know if I'm obligated to resume the same payment structure we had previously. My son is partying out of town and I would never have agreed to him going to school away for this reason. He didn't like being at my home with structure so his mother and he made arrangements I am being forced to support.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/29/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Is he living at home with his mother when not living at school? Is he going to be living at home with her during the Winter Break, the summer etc?

He usually came to live with me during the summers. He decided to stop coming within the last 2 years although it is in the court document he stays with me.

If he is living at home with his mother in the summers then you will be expected to resume child support. But that doesn't mean it is the full table amount under the Federal Child Support Guidlines. In fact, in most cases this is call "summer support" and it would only be 1/3 of the regular amount.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.