I recently made a will using an online service. Do I need to…

Customer Question
I recently made a...

I recently made a will using an online service. Do I need to get a lawyer or notary involved?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

B.C. canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Very simple estate, have an executor

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You do not need a lawyer or notary to do your Will.

But it is vital that that Will is done correctly so if you made a Will using some online service it is imperative that the service is for Wills in BC.

There is a Wills kit for BC that you can use. Let me know if you want me to find a link to where you can get the kit.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

How do I figure out if online service is ok for wills in B.C.? It was made by Lawdepot, Sequiter Inc. from Edmonton AB.

It's not OK unless they assure you that the Will they provided is for BC.

The law in BC is very different than it is in Alberta for estate law.

It may be best not to use this Will and use a Wills kit for BC unless you are able to use a lawyer which is clearly best.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?