If an employee is on doctors recommended "sick" leave for…

Customer Question
If an employee is...

If an employee is on doctors recommended "sick" leave for stress, can they be put on "laid-off" situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time 5year contract at Royal Canadian legion, 6 months into contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The employee was involved with a bar customer when he was Bar Steward in which he refused service and made derogatory remarks in a ledger which was made available to the customer. An apology was requested by the customer and a request that the statement be removed from the records

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Lawyer: DMWEsq,
 replied 4 months ago
DMWEsq

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: DMWEsq,
 replied 4 months ago

Hello, I just realized that this was a miscategorized question. You were routed to the U.S. section when it's apparent you're Canadian. My apologies. Let me advise our moderators so they can get you switched over.

ok
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you asking if an employee can be dismissed while on sick leave?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor