I need some help please with renewing my Work Permit. The…

Customer Question
Hello. I need some...

Hello. I need some help please with renewing my Work Permit. The system has changed recently. I used to do it myself but unable to find the information I need. Can you help please?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Ontario. I need the NOC code and the LMIH EXEMPTION TITLE AND LMIA EXEMPTION CODE. I am a full time professional soccer coach and my job is excluded from LMIA process. The club offering me the position has to obtain an Employer Authorisation Number with this information on line, then I can complete the process.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. My prospective employer is unable to continue without this information re the LMIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at the moment thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/27/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Generally, who is your employer? I am asking if the players are professional for example. I know you are.

Hi Debra. No the players are not professional. It is a community club in the GTA area. It is also not the same club that my previous Work Permit was for. Regards Geoff

I am having the same difficulty you are in finding the codes. Please give me a few more minutes.

Hi Debra. Appreciate that. Thank you

I am a bit surprised by what I am finding but I think the laws have changed to the extent that you actually will need to get a LMIA.

All I've found says that now you need a LMIA unless you are working as a coach for a foreign team.

If you are coaching Canadians it appears you now need a LMIA.

Is that what you came up with as well?

No. As I said my job is LMIA exempt. Hence my prospective employer needing the NOC Code, LMIA Exemption Title and the LMIA Code so as to get the Employer Authorisation Number on line.

I know you said that your job is LMIA exempt. But what I am saying is that what I read suggests that only some coaching positions are LMIA exempt.

As you are coaching Canadians it appears you now need a positive LMIA and you are not exempt. From what i read only foreign coaches of foreign teams are now LMIA exempt.

Hi Debra. I come under the category of Professional athlete/soccer coach so being LMIA exempt has not changed. A friend of mine who is also a professional soccer coach recently renewed his Work Permit and confirms this. His employer obtained the Employer Authorisation Number on line by getting the NOC CODE etc but is not willing to divulge the information with me. My friend does not have it or he would tell me.

The NOC code is 5252.

From my research I don't see any LMIA code that applies.

Your employer must:

• submit an offer of employment to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada,
  • pay a $230 employer compliance fee, and
  • provide you with an offer of employment number.

This only applies to situations where there is a reciprocity that is only where Canadians would also be able to work as professional athletes or coaches in your home country.

Hi Debra. Thank you for the NOC code. My prospective employer and I are aware of the $230 fee and that they have to apply onine for the Employer Authorisation Number. This is where the problem is though. After completing just a part of the online application they are then asked for the LMIA EXEMPTION CODE AND LMIA EXEMPTION TITLE (plus the NOC Code which you have kindly now provided). It is these codes and titles I /we cannot find. I have verified that I am LMIA EXEMPT but can not find the code and title.

I have looked endlessly and I believe the code is C20.

And the title simply appears to be reciprocal employment.

Hello Debra. Thank you. I will pass this information on to my prospective employer. Regards Geoff

I hope it is right. I am concerned that it was so hard to find and don't really know why this information is so lacking right now.

If you feel we are done please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.

Hi Debra. Believe me I fully appreciate how difficult this has been. I have been trying to sort this for many weeks as have others. I will get back to you once my employer has tried to complete this authorisation. Regards Geoff

Thanks!

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer