I am a board Chair for a non-profit. A member asked if she…

Customer Question
I am a board...

I am a board Chair for a non-profit. A member asked if she would be able to attend board meetings. Where would I find the answer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

British Columbia Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Distinction between public and members of the organisation in terms of right to attend the board meetings

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/25/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

There is no obligation under the Act to have the meetings open to anyone but the directors.

While it is possible that the Board can say any member attend it is vital that all members be treated the same.

If the Board would consult with legal counsel in most cases the lawyer would advise against open meetings of the Board as the Board has to be able to function without being closely observed. The Board is accountable and elected by the members but that doesn't mean the members have any say at the board level or any right to observe the board as they work and deal with their obligations and duties.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?