I am wondering if my partner & I are considered common law…

Customer Question
I am wondering if...

I am wondering if my partner & I are considered common law spouses

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Quebec

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

But I am looking to buy a property and wanted to know if I qualify for first home buyer’s plan. This is dependant I’m whether or not we are common law spouses

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/24/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You are common law spouses if you meet this criteria:

Common-law partner

A person who is not your spouse, with whom you are living in a conjugal relationship, and to whom at least one of the following situations applies. He or she:

1. has been living with you in a conjugal relationship, and this current relationship has lasted for at least 12 continuous months (see note below);
  2. is the parent of your child by birth or adoption; or
  3. has custody and control of your child (or had custody and control immediately before the child turned 19 years of age) and your child is wholly dependent on that person for support.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?