Im renting a low rise apartment since 2015. Just this year…

Customer Question
Im renting a low...

Im renting a low rise apartment since 2015. Just this year my family arrived, The landlord asked for a "voluntary rent increase" of $500 but I told him I cant afford $500 increase. Now that it is almost time to again pay rent, he wrote a mandatory rent increase of $700. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

It is a 3 bedroom apartment

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it legal for him to charge us $700. Is there such thing as "voluntary rent increase"

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/24/2017
Lawyer: lucy7368,
 replied 7 months ago
lucy7368

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Rent laws vary by location. Where do you live?

Also, do you have a lease for a set term?

Lawyer: lucy7368,
 replied 7 months ago

Ok. Where do you live?

North York Ontario
Lawyer: lucy7368,
 replied 7 months ago

Thank you.

Your question was routed to U.S. law by mistake. I'm going to transfer you to the Canadian law category. Please do not reply, as that can cause delays.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am a lawyer in Ontario and happy to help.

How much is your rent?

When did the landlord last raise your rent?

My rent was 1475 but he is aking fir a voluntary rent increase of 700 . Is there such thing and is it legal?

He can ask for what he wants but you sure do not have to agree.

That law is that the landlord can raise your rent once a year at the most.

The amount that he can raise your rent by, unless he gets an order allowing him to raise it higher is:

For 2017: the rent increase guideline is 1.5% for increases between January 1 and December 31, 2017.

For 2018: the rent increase guideline is 1.8 % for increases between January 1 and December 31, 2018.

$700 rental increase is almost 50% and is ridiculous.

You should not pay the increase and you can tell him the law and tell him if he doesn't like it to take you to the landlord tenant board.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?