I just received a letter from a law firm acting on behalf of

Preferred Credit Resources Ltd threatening...
I just received a letter from a law firm acting on behalf of Preferred Credit Resources Ltd threatening to commence legal action for a debt in the amount of $4685.32. It only says I owe this money to Preferred Credit Resources Ltd. and makes no reference to whom I owed the money to in the first place and I have no idea whether it is a valid debt or not. It goes on to say that to make my payment payable to another company called National Credit Recovery Inc.. The name of the law firm is Krylov Lam and Company, LLP which upon googling the law firm, is a personal Injury law firm. Is this some sort of scam?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: This is in Ontario Canada.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Like what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did have some credit issues prior to my divorce approx. 6 years ago which were not my debts and have not acknowledged any debt as mine since
11/24/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

I don't know if this is a scam or not but what I can assure you is they cannot sue you if this is regarding a debt from six years ago. The limitation period for suing in Ontario is 2 years.

You can restart the limitation period (which is what collection agencies hope for) by making a partial payment towards the debt or by acknowledging the debt in writing.

I suggest ignoring them.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
If they are on my credit bureau, how long before it would fall off or what steps would I need to take to have it removed from my credit history?

It can stay on your credit record for 6 years but they cannot put it on now. It's too late.

You would follow the credit bureaus formal complaint/appeal process. It will be on their website.

Debra, Lawyer
Debra, Lawyer