Is the onus on me to prove that I am not someone the RCMP

Customer Question
think I am? This is...
Is the onus on me to prove that I am not someone the RCMP think I am? This is for a renewal of a NEXUS application, and they have found someone matching my first name, middle name, and birthdate with a last name the same as my mothers maiden name...
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Alberta, Canada however, the query is coming out of Ottawa.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, this is the first.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't believe so.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Canada Law
11/21/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Have you asked them what more proof they want?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The only thing they've asked for is the fingerprints. The other small point of contention is that I have spoken to the RCMP and they told me that they have to send them due to chain of custody constraints. I spoke with the officer in Ottawa this morning and she said to just go get them done and send them registered mail.

So what is your concern then? If you send the fingerprints will that not end the issue?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Possibly however, I'm more curious as to why I have to prove who I say I am (after already being vetted by their office once). Would the onus not be on them to prove that I'm not who I am saying I am?

There is no law that says they must accept your submission or try and disprove who you are. The law is that you must satisfy them as to your identity.

And in this case because something strange has happened you are having to go the next step. That doesn't mean they are denying you the nexus card but simply telling you that they cannot grant you this privilege (it is not a right) until you prove who you are.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 24 days ago

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer