How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 107656
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I immigrated to Canada under my father’s sponsorship. By the

Customer Question

I immigrated to Canada under my father’s sponsorship. By the time I landed in Canada with my parents and siblings, I was already married and had a child. I was asked upon landing if I had any dependents. I said no. Our immigration consultant had advised me not to declare that I had any dependents; and that he will help me bring in my wife and my first child after I had landed. After landing, I learned that I could not sponsor my undeclared wife and first child.I went on to become a citizen. My second and third child were born outside of Canada after I had become a Canadian citizen. They also became became Canadian citizens by descent.We would like to move to Canada as a whole family. Is there any possibility of my wife and first child to become Canadian PR or citizens?Key dates:DOB: 6/Oct/1972Date of immigration interview: July/1997Date of marriage: 3/Aug/1997Date Of birth of 1st child: 8/May/1998 (undeclared)Date of Landing: 9/Feb/2000Date of citizenship: 27/Aug/2004Date of birth of 2nd child: 6/Nov/2005 (Canadian citizen)Date of birth of 3rd child: 29/October/2008 (Canadian citizen)
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Long time ago. At least 10 years. He said there was no way to sponsor my wife and first child.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this. You were given very bad advice. In fact that immigration consultant counseled you to commit an offence. It is an offence to lie on the application form. Your father committed an offence as well.

You will not be permitted to sponsor your spouse or first child. That does not mean they could not immigrate on their own. If your wife is a skilled worker she could apply on her own.

The problem is that if your lie or your father's lie is discovered all of you are in jeopardy with respect to your legal status.

I suggest that you retain an immigration lawyer and not a consultant before taking any steps going forward.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?