My niece is 17 (18 end of August 2018). She is a good kid,

My niece is 17 (18...
My niece is 17 (18 end of August 2018). She is a good kid, doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs, or have sexual activity, and is a very good student, currently apply to Universities. There was an altercation of some sort last summer with her parents. She moved out and is living with a friend's family (mother is a Social Worker). My cousin has been providing support, sometimes a place to stay on holidays. Now my niece says her parents are threatening my cousin with a lawsuit for 'influencing a minor' and apparently there is a law about this. Could you tell me the Act and perhaps point me to where I can learn more about this. My cousin is not providing alcohol or any other "bad" stuff.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Saskatchewan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. My niece just sent me an email about it. I am retired and vacationing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just looking for more information. It seems like a vicious threat for no purpose? How do I pay
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
WHAT????I HAVE been charged - it is pending on my credit card. And I did NOT get any answer whatsoever from an expert.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Will my credit card be credited for the $45.46 CAD that I was charged?I received NO ANSWER whatsoever from any expert. None. Nada.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am happy to help you but I am concerned that it may be too late. Do you want me to go ahead?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Too late?So far my niece's parents (my sister and her husband) are just threatening. There has been no legal action taken against my cousin. Would this be harassment? Could my niece get one of those things like people get so their ex can't bother them?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No I do not want to call. That is not what I signed up for. It looks like milking me for money.

I meant whether it is too late to try to help you on the site. You seem very angry with the site. I don't own it or work for it. I am a practicing lawyer and just log into the site the way you do and see a list of questions and choose which to answer.

I did not ask for the call. That is one of the options the site offers.

Do you want me to go ahead or not?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
please of course go ahead. I paid $45 for an answer. On my end of the stick here, you and the site are pretty much one and the same. The site told me the question was closed and that I had not been charged. I checked my bank and I have so been charged. If this is not you but you are getting my frustration, I am sorry. Too bad the site seems to work like a scam.

It's not a scam. You have to pay before you can communicate with an expert but if you had not answer you could have asked for a refund.

Sometimes the experts answer faster. I most often do but it's Saturday night.

This is an empty threat and it is essentially nonsense. This child is almost an adult and even if she was not they are not influencing her in any way. Rather they have opened their home, their hearts and their bank account (to some extent) to her.

There is no way that your niece's parents can harm your cousin nor can they force your niece to move home. These empty threats are their trying to take control over your niece who has withdrawn from their control.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Could she get a restraining order? I mean, is there grounds? Harassment or abuse of some kind? I don't know what the altercation that made my niece move out was all about. Her parents were also reading her text messages (her iPhone is on her mother's account). My sister has anger issues - irrational, sporadic outbursts. My bro-in-law used to threaten to call Social Services because my sister hit my niece. I am not doubting that there were pretty good reasons to move out.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Oh and sorry about the Saturday thing. When you are retired, the days sort of run together.

I understand. I am semi-retired but I am also a single parent of 4 kids who get hungry- a lot!

It's not harassment unless it is persistent. If they don't stop then someone can call the police and the police will likely warn them to stop first and if they don't then they may charge them with harassment and place them under a restraining order.

Debra, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
thank you for the response. I feel relieved already.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok. Worth the $$. Thanks.

You are very welcome!

Debra, Lawyer