In 2013, my wife inherited her mother's home upon her death…

In 2013, my wife...

In 2013, my wife inherited her mother's home upon her death which we used as a rental property till 2016 when we moved in to become our family home. Is her inheritance of the house still an excluded property or family property now? I assume her heritance was originally excluded but since we now regularly use it as our family home, does that change things? Plus the year of death and inheritance was 201

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

BC, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

T3 was filed for the trust holding the house for my wife.

11/18/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You are correct. It is likely the case that the court would say that the inheritance has lost its characterization as an inheritance and has become non-excluded family property.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

My question also included the issue of the year of the death and inheritance i.e. 2013. When did the new laws on inheritance in family law become effective? I thought it was 2014

The new law applies because it matters when you separate and not when the asset was acquired.

thank you

You are very welcome.

Please be sure to rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

Debra, Lawyer