I got an email from PicRights Ltd. on behalf of Agence

Customer Question
I got an...

I got an email from PicRights Ltd. on behalf of Agence France-Presse

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Some copyright issue canada toronto asking for $1590

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local... Read full answer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing yet

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yesterday only i received this email.
The image is used in the blog post about 3 months ago. Its the image of Donald Trump shaking hand with Prime Minister of India.
They are asking for 1590 dollars as compensation.
What do i do?Should i remove the post?
Do i have to reply to that email?
Are they genuine or its a scam?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the email they also sent the screenshot of the image posted on my website
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying the owner of the copyright of the photo is demanding this because you posted their photo online without their consent?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its "PicRights Ltd. on behalf of Agence France-Presse"
I am very new in web designing and i am just learning it. Had no idea about anything like that.Are you familiar about people getting such emails?PicRights Ltd. on behalf of Agence France-Presse
3 Concorde Gate, 4th Floor
Toronto, ON, Canada M3C 3N7
Telephone: +1(###) ###-#### www.picrights.comNovember 17, 2017Via physical mail and email"My Address
*************** "Image License Validation for Agence France-Presse - Reference Number: "***************"Dear Business Owner,As an introduction, PicRights Ltd. ("PicRights") provides copyright compliance services to third-party content owners, including Agence France-Presse. PicRights has noticed that imagery represented by Agence France-Presse has been displayed on your website. Agence France-Presse has been unable to find a license for this usage of the imagery by your company.At the end of this message, we’ve attached a visual of the imagery and its use on your website.Our goal in contacting you is to identify an active license for this use, if one exists. If applicable you can send us your valid license / authorization by visiting https://resolve.picrights.com/"***************" and clicking the “I have a license…” link.If you do not have an active license for the use of this imagery, we request as an initial step that you remove the imagery from your website and contact us.Please be aware that removal of the imagery alone will not resolve this issue. Use of imagery managed by Agence France-Presse without a valid license is considered copyright infringement and entitles Agence France-Presse to seek compensation for infringing uses under the Copyright Act. The cost of settlement for past usage of the imagery on your company’s website is C$1593.00. Payment can be made by visiting: https://resolve.picrights.com/*************** or by contacting us at 1(###) ###-####or at***@******.***.We would like to resolve this time-sensitive issue as soon as possible and request that you respond within 14 days from the date of this correspondence.If you believe you have received this notice in error or have questions, please contact us with your reference number *************** at 1(###) ###-####or***@******.***.On behalf of PicRights and Agence France-Presse, we thank you for your cooperation and look forward to assisting you in resolving this matter.Sincerely,Geoff Beal
Copyright Compliance Officer
PicRights Ltd.To learn more about PicRights copyright and this specific matter please visit: https://resolve.picrights.com/***************.
This correspondence is without prejudice to PicRights’s and Agence France-Presse's, rights and remedies, all of which are expressly reserved.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For now i have removed the post from the blog section of my website.

This is a standard letter that is set out routinely. That is not to say it is a scam. It is not.

They can sue you for damages. They would be able to sue successfully for whatever they would charge someone for a licence to use this one photo. $1593.00 sounds very to me.

It is not likely but it is possible the will sue you. My own view is that you should take the photo down, not use it again of course, and not pay them a thing.

If they actually sue you then you can seek a settlement.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i used the picture on my website for 3 to 4 months.
To me $1590 is something i can never imagine to afford. If i have to, i can bring down the whole website instead. (if required or makes sense to u)If i avoid the email and they decided to take an action. Can they sue me for even more amount? (I mean more than 1590 dollars)?
Also if they decide to sue me, Is that a offence that will be put on my status and will show up in my police check if i apply for new job or for visa and immigration purpose?Also what do you mean by "seek a statement"?

I didn't say seek a statement. I said seek a settlement.

I mean that if they sue you then you can offer some money for them to stop the lawsuit.

They can sue you for whatever they want. But to get a court to award what they are suing for they have to prove they are entitled to that money. They would have to show what they would charge someone to use one of their photos on their website.

It's not a criminal matter. It's just a civil matter so it has not nothing to do with a visa or immigration or a job.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Makes sense.
If in few days if i receive a physical mailed letter saying the same as said in the email. Just stay quiet?Also in the mean while i will keep looking for websites, if they are selling the same image for cheep just to safeguard myself. TO prove the actual cost of image in case they want to take an action.Also if after 14 days, if they send another more threatening email, keep quiet is what u recommend?

I would say you can answer, state that the photo is removed, it won't happen again, you have no funds and cannot pay them anything.

After that ignore them.

Yes see if they are selling this photo or a similar photo anywhere.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Found the image.
Small sized image is like 175 CAD, Medium is 375CAD and Large is like 575CAD.

Good for you.

So I was right that they were not honest with the cost.

It also means that there is little likelihood they will pursue this further.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a company called PicRights that keeps telling me I
Hi , I have a company called PicRights that keeps telling me I need to pay them upward of $450 for a cartoon stock photo that was put on my site by my webdesigner. There are spelling errors in it like… read more
Lawyer,
I have given money to a person for joining college in
I have given money to a person for joining college in Canada. Money is given in India for paying college admission fees, tution fees and GIC. Now this person after reaching Canada has lied and around … read more
Lawyer,
Wondering about the legitimacy of PicRights Ltd in Toronto,
Wondering about the legitimacy of PicRights Ltd in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. They contacted our non-profit here in CT two weeks ago regarding our allegedly unlicensed use of an image of John Glenn we … read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I had an attorney tell me today that Geoff Beal with
I had an attorney tell me today that Geoff Beal with PicsRight in Toronto CA on behalf of Agence France Presse was a scammer, is this correct? … read more
Lawyer,
I have been scammed of over 1 million dollars in a romance
I have been scammed of over 1 million dollars in a romance scam that spanned over 20 months. What can I do now? … read more
Lawyer,
I am reading a page on your site that describes my issue
I am reading a page on your site that describes my issue exactly. My church had an image in an old newsletter. The newsletter was archived on the church website. We received an email from PicRights.co… read more
Peter Patent
Peter Patent
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Oh sorry Pearl Willson. Issue is in Ontario. Researched.
It's a copyright issue. PicRights found an image on my website that apparently had a copyright on it. They sent me a letter telling me to take it down and pay $900 in fines. I had no clue that that image was not free, don't even know where it came from. Don't know if this is a scam or not.… read more
Lawyer,
I'm an international student currently studying in Toronto
Hi, I'm an international student currently studying in Toronto under a study permit, I have a situation going on that involves the internet and the distribution of my sexually explicit photos … read more
CaptanLaw
CaptanLaw
Lawyer,
Juris Doctor (Law Degree)
We have received a letter for demand on a copywrite
Hello we have received a letter for demand on a copywrite infringement case. We used an image from a clit art gallery and now they are demanding us pay for licensing. however we didn't get the image f… read more
Lawyer,
I have financial scam from canadian base company trade12
I have financial scam from canadian base company trade12 they try scam me there broker EITHAN COLLIN he is one who try to scam me when I make huge profit they try to blocked my account please go throu… read more
Lawyer,
Got an email from Canada that fwd a letter from canipre on
Got an email from bell Canada that fwd a letter from canipre on behalf of Banner Ent. For copyright infringment about a movie I downloaded for my kids. They want me to pay $150 thru a link provided, t… read more
Lawyer,
Got a letter today about copyright infringement, i was
Customer: got a letter today about copyright infringement, i was unaware of its use on my website...is this legal..Also the company is trying to sue me with a USA law and im am in canada and the websi… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
Hello, I run a donation supported, non-profit Christian
Hello, I run a donation supported, non-profit Christian blog with no advertising. We have substantial readership, and we try to publish relevant content every week. I would like to publish a particula… read more
Tom B.
Tom B.
Barrister & Solicitor,
LLB Bachelor of Laws
I am furnishing below the facts that happened and which caused
I am furnishing below the facts that happened and which caused a severe trouble to my family when they were travelling from Toronto to Nagpur (India) by Lufthansa airways. 1. The flight LH 5465 was de… read more
Lawyer,
Hi, I received an email from Stone Petroleum Company Canada
Hi, I received an email from Stone Petroleum Company Canada ([email protected]) with list of vacancy. There after I applied for Administrative Assistant. HR Manager (Jennifer Pr… read more
Lawyer,
A website in Toronto has taken a picture of my home that was
A website in Toronto has taken a picture of my home that was on my blog, and posted it on their commercial website. I have contacted them twice to no avail. What recourse do I have?… read more
Lawyer,
I have been contacted by norton dunne and associates regarding
I have been contacted by norton dunne and associates regarding a law suit against stanley reibeck to which they have offered me 80% of my investyment back if they win the case, but i have to send them… read more
Lawyer,
The CBC had Peter Lougheed on for Cross Canada Checkup and
The CBC had Peter Lougheed on for Cross Canada Checkup and as I recall during the Consitution debate Lougheed was against including Woman's & Native rights in the Constitution. When both women and Nat… read more
Lawyer,