I would like to know how to get rid illegally owned guns in…

Hi, I would like...

Hi, I would like to know how to get rid illegally owned guns in canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

11/18/2017
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

As we discuss this, please don't use details that can identify you.

What city or municipality are you in?

Roughly speaking, how many of what types of weapons are we talking about?

This is alarming! I am simply trying to legitimately dispose of a 12 ga. shot gun and two .22 cal. single shot rifles that I had as a kid. I am in my 60's and have not used them since I was in my 20's. At one time I had a POL because the .22's were given to me by my father and brother and I wanted to keep them for sentimental reasons. I let the POL laps for no other reason than neglect and not understanding the consequences. I had no intention of ever using them again. I only recently learned of the severity of the consequences of not renewing my POL and decided, obviously, to surrender them. It is only when I went online to try and find out how that I learned of the serious consequences.

OK, no problem. I'm only asking because there's a big difference between what you have an a crate of AR15s, right?

What city/municipality do you live in?

Ottawa.
Can I expect your call any time soon?

http://ottawasun.com/2017/03/30/lawyers-bring-anonymous-illegal-gun-surrender-program-to-ottawa/wcm/dd5a241e-049e-4b57-8c98-da6307600a62

This is an article about the "Piece Options" program in Ottawa, where you take a gun to a lawyer who will deliver it to the police for you, and they will not disclose your identity because it's covered by solicitor-client privilege.

However, I can't find a list of lawyers who participate in the program. You should contact the Ottawa criminal lawyers' association and ask them which members participate.

http://www.dcao.com/page/1/index.php

I think that's the best answer you're going to get on a Saturday afternoon. Is there anything else you'd like to discuss?

If not then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please. Ratings are how I get paid by the site for helping its customers.

Thank you. Will I still be charged for the phone call that I paid for but didn't get?

The site pushes calls for an additional fee. I don't do calls anyway.

But I'd like a rating please, if there's nothing else? I can "close" the thread if you like after that which should nullify your phone call request.

I have one more question. Do amnesty programs keep records of who surrenders firearms?

Piece Options isn't an amnesty program. A lawyer turns in the guns, and the lawyer will consider you a "client" and thus not give your name to the police.

You're right, there are also times when there's an "amnesty" on charges relating to illegal guns if you hand them in, but of course if knew of any such thing coming up in the area you wouldn't have come to the site.

I would like to investigate the "Piece Options" program before closing the thread. No doubt there will be a lawyer's fee and I am on a very limited income. Would there be any legal implication for me to simply give the guns to my brother who has a PAL? That way I can keep them in the family at least. I have a hard time with them being destroyed if it can be avoided. I have a strong sentimental attachment to them because of the memories of happier times they represent.

From what I see in the article, the criminal lawyers who do this service do it for free. And why not, it's good PR I suppose.

I can't answer you about transferring guns to your brother, that's a question of gun registration regulations of which I'm not familiar.

You asked about how to get rid of guns illegally owned, and this is the best option of course. Anything else to discuss on this topic?

No thank you. Better rid of them than prison. Hate to see them go. Many great memories associated and would've like to pass them along.

As you observe, the penalties for gun ownership and storage laws are very stiff.

Ask your brother if he wants the guns, and he knows a quick way to transfer them at his cost then he can have them. That's possible. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts that this is neither quick nor cheap if the guns have fallen off the radar already.

If we're finished, I'd really appreciate that rating now. The thread will stay open if you wish to follow up at a later date.

I can't believe you are still responding at this time, Saturday evening. Very impressed! Not to prolong things but can you clarify what you mean when you say if he knows a 'quick way to transfer them at his cost'.

You said you want to keep the guns in the family, but that you need to resolve this issue quickly (because there's a risk in sitting on them) and you can't spend a lot of money. You said that your brother has a PAL, maybe he wants the guns, knows a way to "acquire" them, and is willing to pay the fees.

Clearly, I would like him to "acquire them". I know you are trying to help but for some reason can't be clear about him "acquiring them". Paying fees implies government involvement which, obviously, brings questions as to where they came from. In terms of cost and jeopardy would a solution be for me to acquire a PAL? Would this allow me to own these guns legally?

I can't answer that. It's a different question from what you started with and I don't know much about that topic in any event.

Sorry, I tend to push the point and get off track.

No need to apologize. You don't get if you don't ask. But you've moved into another topic, with which I can't help you.

Groovy.

So how about that rating?

Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer