I purchased a tractor trailer two years ago, it was

Customer Question
purchased from an individual who...
I purchased a tractor trailer two years ago, it was purchased from an individual who had financed it through his employer. I have a receipt from this employer that it has been paid in full. I am now trying to sell it only to find there are liens against it. I'm assured by this company that nothing is owed and they are working remove them. I was told that they should be gone by Nov 15, 2017 after many phone calls starting in May of 2017. I just did another lien check and nothing has changed. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

How much is the trailer worth?

What province are you in please?

It's the truck, a 2010 Kenworth, will be trying to sell for $40,000. I could have sold it for $42,000 last May but then it was discovered that there were liens against it and of course the sale fell through, as the company through which the former owner had financed it has not dealt with the issue in a timely manner. After 2 plus years this truck should no longer be on their books as there is no money owed on it and it is no longer in any way connected to their fleet. Their initial response was surprise that the liens were still showing up, then they were working on it, then everything should be cleared up by Nov 15, 2017 and now my contact within the company is doing his best to avoid my calls. I am in Nova Scotia.

This is a lot of money and they are causing you to incur damages.

I suggest that you no longer be patient but pay a lawyer a small fee to send them a letter threatening a lawsuit and also telling them that as this is their error you will sue them for what you end up selling the truck for if it is short of the $42K. You can sue them for the difference in small claims court and can self-represent.

You can send the letter yourself but a letter from a lawyer will hold a lot more weight.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?