I have owned a home since 1995. My ex and I split up in 2008…

Customer Question
Hello. My name is*****...

Hello. My name is***** have owned a home since 1995. My ex and I split up in 2008 so my son bought him out by paying his half of the home's equity. In 2007 my son met a woman who shortly thereafter moved in. She did not pay mortgage payments or utilies, etc. but did buy some groceries , ornaments and the like. In Dec.2011 we went to see an investor who loaned the 3 of us $100,000 to do repairs on the extertior of our house. At this time her name was added to the titled as they had recently become engaged. In Oct. 2012 they split up. She took her things and even tried to take his motorcycle with the help of her brothers while my son was at work. I put a stop to that by telling them I would call the police if they took it. Since them she has been insisitent on that she should be entitled to 33% of the equity in our home and I am wondering if this is even possible as she has not paid a cent toward this house period since she has left, even though we have allowed her to store her tent trailer and fifth wheel here as long as she wanted. Please tell me I do not owe her 1/3 of my home's equity.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

This is in Sherwood Park , Alberta, Canada and it is not a mobile home. It is a 2331 sq' home worth approx. $600,000.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Only when her name was added to title in Dec 2011

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's all, thank you.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

She will not be entitled to 1/3 of the house.

The court will consider all of each of your contributions. She didn't contribute as much as either of you did from the sound of it. In fact she lived there rent free.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer