How many months salary is given for every year of service? I…

Customer Question
How many months salary...

How many months salary is given for every year of service? I worked for 7 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Quebec

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I worked as Project Engineer and was given 37 weeks pay after 7 years.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/16/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

37 weeks is 8.6 months which is likely more than a court would order.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

This is a real adviser which you can trust.

I don't know what you mean.

I am not advising you as you are not my client. I am explaining the law generally to you. I am a senior lawyer. I've been a lawyer since 1985.

But for sure it would make sense to consult with your own employment lawyer face to face if you have any doubts.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer