I'm accepted into the alternative measures program, have to…

Customer Question
I'm accepted into the...

I'm accepted into the alternative measures program, have to complete 40 hours of community work. Already went to court. everything going well. But when I went to RCMP office to have my finger prints taken there wasn't anyone there to take them went 2 times. Is this a big deal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

ALBERTA CANADA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes but not about finger prints

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
Lawyer: CaptanLaw, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
CaptanLaw
CaptanLaw, Lawyer

If the arresting police force provided you with notice that you are required to attend a specific place and time for the taking of your fingerprints, it is crucial that this is completed. It is a Criminal Offence, under the Criminal Code of Canada (s 145(5)) to not attend for fingerprinting if the police required you to.

You should contact the lawyer assisting with your case to discuss this situation, and to assist with arranging a time to have your prints taken.

You should make some notes about all the times you attempted to attend for printing, when no one was there. Make a note of the date/time, in case, in the future, the police attempt to lay a charge for this.

Have you tried calling the RCMP office where you're supposed to attend? I'm assuming someone would be there to take your call. If they are not available at that location, you may wish to consider the nearest RCMP detachment to the one you were supposed to attend.

If you do not have a lawyer and are still unsure about how to handle the situation, you should consider speaking to Duty Counsel, at the courthouse where your matter is taking place - assuming that there is a Duty Counsel office there.

Good luck!

Please provide a rating before you leave, so the website can compensate me for my time.

Thanks