My common law has been separated for 9 years but not

Customer Question
My common law has...

My common law has been separated for 9 years but not divorced. We own a house together . Is his wife entitled to our home and his pension?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you sound so worried.

It is by far too late for the spouse to make any claim to any asset belonging to your common law spouse. That claim had to be made within 6 years of separation or two years from a divorce, which ever came first.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.