I am owed a considerable amount of money by an individual.

Customer Question
The individual has not denied...
I am owed a considerable amount of money by an individual. The individual has not denied this however they have not placed this obligation as top priority. I would like to seek a court order placing this individuals income under a conservator or equivalent and placing this individual on an allowance and replaying me with the remaining funds until their obligation is fulfilled. Is this possible?
Thank you very much for your time on this matter.
Raymond
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

It doesn't work quite like that but I can explain what can happen.

Please first let me know how much is owed to you in total.

Thanks

$20,000 US

I will explain what to do but it will take a couple of minutes.

First you send this person a demand letter. You give them a deadline to pay you. You tell them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then be seeking interest and your costs. If they don't comply you can then sue them in Small Claims Court and self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Once you get the judgment you can seek to enforce it in many ways. You can garnish this person's wages. You can seize bank accounts. You can seize assets such as a car and have it sold. You can register a lien on title to property and even have that sold.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?