How do I get off a lease as a co-signer for my daughters…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get off a lease as a co-signer for my daughters rent, as she is not paying the rent and abusing the rental terms of agreement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Kingston Ontario canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Regular agreements, no noise, keep apartment clean, do not f=damage apartment all of which she has violated

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just how do I get off the lease and not be liable for balance of rent.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/13/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Do you live with her? Is she wanting to move out?

No I do not live with her,she has her own apartment which I signed for her on her behalf, she does not want to move out but the landlord wants to evict her.

You cannot get your name off the lease unless the landlord agrees.

If the landlord evicts her then the lease will be at an end but you will end up being on the hook for the rent that is owing until the end of the lease.

So it would be best if this happened for you to try to find a tenant to sub-lease the space.

I know this is not in the least what you want to hear but you need an accurate answer of course.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?