I have been abandoned by my physician at a time when I am…

Customer Question
I have been abandoned...

I have been abandoned by my physician at a time when I am ill

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just sent a request for review to The Patient Quality Care Review board

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have no access to medical for 120 miles from me now; I saw a physician in another town yesterday and no one is accepting patients

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/11/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this but what is your specific question?

What province are you in please?

What recourse do I have about being abandoned medically; it is causing stress and monetary hardship; BC Canada

Why did your doctor refuse to keep you on as a patient?

She was watching my Facebook and said she disagreed with my negative posts; a receptionist was reporting to her

When you filed the complaint was their decision that this was not about patient quality of care and that the doctor was within her rights to decide not to keep you on as a patient?

I was just informed this week that it was accepted for review

I understand but you didn't answer my question yet.

I am assuming when you say review you already received a decision you were not happy with. I am asking what that decision and especially the reasons provided.

I have just been informed that my request for a review was accepted; there is no decision yet

I am puzzled by that because the review is after a complaint is made and then the decision is not favourable.

In any event, can you let me know how much notice you were given in terms of not being able to come to this doctor any more?

Oh I see; my initial complaint was dismissed by the group of physicians as harassment-there was no investigation. I was sent a registered letter by my physician terminating the relationship due to " negative Facebook posts". She suggested another physician in the practice, but now I am banned so I have no access to the clinic. I went 120 miles away from my home on Friday to see a doctor at a walk-in clinic and was told there are NO doctors accepting new patients in the entire city.

So it is your view that your doctor had to keep you on as a patient?

No, it's my view that with a patient so ill, the doctor should have assisted me to find another doctor

That is a good point and the best you can make.

What you are going to be up against is that the doctor does not have to keep you on as a patient and given you posted negative of things about this doctor on social media no one is going to say she should have.

But the doctor also has to give you sufficient notice so that you can find a new doctor and not be harmed.

This doctor is going to say you were offered to see another doctor in the practice and it is not her fault that you were banned from the office because of negative postings.

So you will have to show why it was reasonable for you to expect this doctor whose reputation you were damaging and whom you were not happy with to continue to be your doctor when she suggested you see another doctor right in her own practice.

You will have to show why a doctor whom you posted negative things about should have to take time and find you a new doctor. You will have to show that your position is reasonable and fair.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer