Writing on behalf of my 88 year old friend who is a 20 year…

Customer Question
Writing on behalf of...

Writing on behalf of my 88 year old friend who is a 20 year tenant in a midtown Toronto apartment. Her apartment has been deemed a fire hazard. She is elderly, infirm, a hoarder, with a long, fraught and adversarial relationship with Arcanos Property Management Corp. She is living in absolute squalor, paying a monthly rent of some $900.00--for several years to avoid her eviction, I have been covering her rental increases unbeknownst to her. She has been againthreatened with evictim after a recent fire inspection. She has no family, little money and I am afraid of what may befall her going forwrd. What are her legal options? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

The property is over run with furniture, books, knick knacks. The property is extremely crowded, filthy, in squalid disorder and as I mentionned deemed a fire hazard

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. The property manager I deal with secretly apparently appeared at her door, threatening her verbally with eviction. I expect an official letter shortly from the property management

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I admit my friend , the tenant, is a VERY difficult, even abusive personality. Essentially, I am her only ally. She's brutal but I feel I cannot abandon her as she is very old now, vulnerable and yet at the same time a maddening, stubborn, argumentative person. Quite unlikeable by most standards; indeed a hoarder, though she doesn't see it that way. Most people are shocked by the squalor in which she lives--she is patrician in her attitudes, narcisstic, condescending, however, I feel protective of her and also feel she cannot under any circumstances move from her present apartment.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/11/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am saddened to hear this.

Do you believe she is mentally competent?

Does she have any family?

What is your full name Debra and where did you get your Law degree?

I received my law degree at Osgoode Hall Law School. We do not give out our full names for privacy and confidentiality reasons.

Ok.
However, upon reflection I’m not comfortable with this “method” of getting some quick legal advice. My mistake. I won’t be responding again.
Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor