What is common law marriage? when does it constitute a

Customer Question
What is common law...

What is common law marriage ? when does it constitute a marriage

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alberta, Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

On a first nation bylaw , it states that you cannot be living common law to be eligible to run for chief or council elected position

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

So the bylaw forbids a commonlaw spouse from being cheif or elected council?

This is the obvious first question: does the bylaw say under what law or definition "common law" is referred to?