I think my last message got lost. My issue: Despite not

Customer Question
Hello, I think my...

Hello, I think my last message got lost. My issue: Despite not having secured my permission, a tenant who was renting a unit in my home sub-let the unit to a troublesome sub-tenant. I understand that she is no longer paying my tenant her agreed upon rent. She had agreed to move out on August 31 but is still occupying the unit. Our tenant has now given us notice, leaving us with someone who is essentially a squatter in our home. I want to see the last of both of them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There is no lease that I'm aware of at least with respect to my tenant and his sub-let. Our tenant was renting on a month to month basis. As far as I know, there are no maintenance issues.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is the lawyer knowledgeable about Ontario landlord-tenant law or am I in the wrong jurisdiction?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you told the tenant to have this illegal sub-tenant move out and if so what was the response?

Have you told the illegal sub-tenant to move out and if so what was the response?

I have talked with the tenant who assures me that he has told her in no uncertain terms to vacate the unit. I have an email exchange that confirms what he says. The tenant was charging $800.00 per month for the sublet while paying us $650.00 which I believe is illegal. He justifies this on the basis that the sub-let is using his furniture. This is apparently true, so can we tell him to move his furniture out immediately which will force his sub-let to move as well? We have spoken to the sub-let who responds that she has nowhere to go.

You can seek an order for the Landlord Tenant Board for the eviction of the sub-tenant.

You use form A2 which you can find here:

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/forms/#landlord-forms

You use Part 3 Reason 1. You can ask for an eviction and compensation.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?