Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

I have a question with regards to entitlement of an

Customer Question

I have a question with regards ***** ***** of an inheritance-long story short, common law relationship, one receives an inheritance from a family member, is the other entitled to any of the inheritance?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Actually in Ontario, Canada!
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you mean by that?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oh ok, nothing has been filed-monies were received last week & entered into another family members bank account for clearance before access.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The common-law spouse of 27 years has received an inheritance of $173,000, following the death of her brother. She has deposited the cheque into a bank account, either her own or her sons account, awaiting the funds to be cleared. She has informed the common-law spouse that there is no legal expectation to share the inheritance. Is this true?
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Yes, technically this is true. But it also depends on what she does with the money. Is there more to the story?