I went to get my passport renewed and had to fill out the…

I went to get my...
I went to get my passport renewed and had to fill out the general form, with my guarantor I forged her signature on the photos when they called her she said she didn’t sign them, now I have to right a statement. On this statement I will tell the truth, and make sure it is noted that my guarantor had no part in this at all. Do you know how much trouble I am in? I’m only 21 and I don’t know what to do I am terrified
10/23/2017
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Who is asking for the statement?

What will you put in the statement? Is there a good reason why you did what you did?

Obviously, don't use any details that can be used to identify you.

The passport office is, they asked for who signed the photos, when they signed the photos and where. Obviously I will tell them it was me, I was already on my way out of the city and realized they didn’t sign them and since we’re close I thought it wouldn’t be too bad to sign them. Obviously that was a huge mistake. I’m not even sure how to write the statement and how to admit.. is there anything you suggest

We'll get there. Did you forge the signature on the photos, or on the application itself, or both?

Just the photos, she filled out the application part, I just forgot to get her to sign the photos

So to whom are you giving this statement? And by when?

I assume that a passport office official made this request / demand? Did they do so in writing?

Have you been advised by them, or recommended, to see a lawyer?

I did not admit to them on the phone. All they said is I need to make a statement in writing, and bring it to the passport office stating who, when and where the photos were signed. So no they did not advise me to see a lawyer. They also didn’t give me a time limit.

OK. I think you should see an immigration lawyer to help you with the statement, or to do the statement for you.

They clearly have you dead to rights on an offence under s. 57(2) which can be punishable by up to two years of incarceration. I haven't asked you about your criminal record. If you have a history of fraud, forgery, or other such convictions then this is very bad for you. If you have a clean record then it's clearly not ideal but you're unlikely to get any jail time.

So that's the bad news. The good news is that if they wanted to arrest you, a large Mountie would have already been at your door.

This sort of thing happens a lot. It's usually just people being stupid, like forgetting to have the guarantor sign the photos too, or if the guarantor isn't available to confirm the details the applicant pretends to be the guarantor and is caught. Nothing malicious or with the intent to do any harm at all, just...being stupid. No offence.

And the authorities know this. They want to sort out those who just screwed up from those who are trying to get false passport under false pretences, perhaps to sell the passport on the black market, or as an element of a larger identity theft, or even international terrorism. That's worth chasing down.

I've never seen anyone convicted of a crime under this section when they were simply being careless or trying to cut corners. But the law is there for a reason. If you write the statement, and have the guarantor confirm it, you'll probably be fine. That letter will go on your file and you can assume that the feds will double check your interactions with them in the future, including future passport applications, maybe closer attention from CRA, maybe go on a "watch list" at border services. That's to be expected. I doubt you'll be arrested and charged but I can't promise that you won't.

So my best advice is to go see an immigration lawyer with you for help in making the statement, or more specific advice about what should and shouldn't go into the statement.

Does that make sense?

Thank you, ***** ***** contact a immigration lawyer here.

I hope I've helped. Any further question or comment?

If I've answered you may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get paid by the site for helping its customers. I'd appreciate it.

Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer