I'm a witness for my friend s assault against her

I'm a witness for...

I'm a witness for my friend s sexual assault against her husband.Can the defense attorney ask about my personal life and do I have to answer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ontario

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.Im just a witness

10/21/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

The defence lawyer can try and ask what they like but the Crown who is the lawyer who has called you as a witness can object on the ground of relevance. Your personal life is not relevant in most cases.

If the judge agrees this is not relevant you will not have to answer. If the judge doesn't agree and requires you to answer then you will have to do so.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Thank you.!
It isn't relevant,I was thinking maybe if the defense wants to write me down as untrustworthy.Which I'm not.But there are things in my personal life I don't want to talk about

A competent lawyer would not dare raise anything that is not relevant.

Debra, Lawyer
Thank you!!

You are very welcome.

I am sorry you have to worry about this when you are a witness and not the accused!

Thanks and take good care.