As a legal guardian (not a parent and not legally adopted)

Customer Question
As a legal guardian...

As a legal guardian (not a parent and not legally adopted) can you kick out an increasingly out of control 15 year old minor if you have another family member pick them up to provide food, clothing, shelter until child services or juvenile services can find a placement for them or until you can relinquish your guardianship legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oh, it's in Ontario Canada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No but have tried over a year of reaching out to various counsellors and child services for help and has now gotten out of control. Would ensure she is picked up by a familiar family member in meantime.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that police have been involved previously and we chose not to have assault or property damage charges pressed at the time.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Canada Law
10/18/2017
Lawyer: Ulysses101, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer

Hello, thank you for the question.

"Guardianship" is very rarely used in Ontario, do you mean custody?

Can you tell me more about what's going on? Don't use details that can identify anyone.

It is a legal guardian that has a court order for custody. The minor was never legally adopted. Consistent yelling and screaming, not going to school, facing truancy charges, refusal to do anything they are asked. Have tried every avenue of counselling and have had prior police involvement due to violence and at the time chose not to press charges.. now it is just getting to be too much

I understand, but I want to get my head around this "guardianship" thing. As I said, it's a term rarely used in Ontario.

Do you have custody of the child? Do you have the court order there?