This is what my offer of employment states regarding my

probationary period.I am a P/T...
This is what my offer of employment states regarding my probationary period.I am a P/T paramedic. I have come to find out that management interprets this probationary period as not (3months) but instead i need to work 90 shifts. They don't count 4, 6, or 8 hour shifts toward that period or any of my training.Your employment will be in accordance with the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement with CUPE Local 1484. Your employment is subject to a 90 working day probationary period. This period of time allows you and the CDSSAB to determine if the position is suitable for you. If either party decides for any reason during this period to discontinue employment, no notice or pay in lieu of notice is required.How would you interpret this probationary period?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
union contract
My job offer
10/16/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

According to your collective agreement the probationary period is 90 days and not 90 shifts. There is no basis for them to interpret this provision of the contract in any other way. The words are clear and must be interpreted in accordance with their usual meaning.

If the intention was to consider the probationary period to be for 90 shifts that is what the wording would say.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer
Thanks for your response, I will be giving you five stars, don't worry ;). That is how I interpreted this. They are very vocal about stating they mean 90 shifts. Its been bothering me haha

Speak to your union rep!

My union rep is useless and doesn't understand, thats what makes me nervous. The union would not fight this if they fired someone.

Then at some point someone is going to file a complaint of unfair representation against the union.

although I feel much better knowing that through the contract language I am technically off probation and can't be fired for little things now.

I agree. That is some relief for sure.

Do you work for a law firm if anything did happen in the future and i had no union support? I don't have anyone i deal with

I don't any more. I am pretty well retired aside from working on the site but there are lots of lawyers who can help you if it comes down to it.

Debra, Lawyer