I moved to canada with a permanent residence. I was living…

Hi. I moved to canada...
Hi. I moved to canada with a permanent residence. I was living in Dubai and was not getting my salary for 8 months. Ii started a case against my company but got no where. I came to canada and could not pay my debts in dubai. I have a personal loan and two credit cards. Can they get to me in Canada. What are the options i have.can the court in Dubai execute its sentence in Canada. Can they extradict me to Dubai?
10/15/2017
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

They can sue you in Dubai and seek to enforce it through our courts and legal system here.

They would apply to the court in your province to accept the judgment rendered in Dubai. Then the judgment would have the same force and effect as if rendered in Canada. They could then garnish wages, seize assets, register liens etc.

They could not extradite you to Dubai as in Canada this is only a civil matter.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Hi Debra,Thank you for the reply. Can you please clarify some points. I am a permanent resident so I do not have the canadian passport. Do I have the same as a canadian passport holder. Can they enforce a ban travel on me, envoque interpol? Will this affect getting the passport process?If I have a joined bank account in Canada with my wife, can they seize the assets. What if in her name alone. Can they take my house belongings like furniture, etc...Currently they do not know where I live. Is there a way they can know. And once they do and file a claim at the court here, will I have the chance to defend myself?Thanks

I don't know the law in Dubai but just Canada.

They cannot extradite you for what we consider a civil matter.

They can seize jointly held assets and take half.

They cannot seize anything in you wife's name.

This has nothing to do with getting a passport as it is a civil matter.

If the house is in your name they can take it. They would not take your belongings but could.

I have no way of knowing if they can find you but I am sure they can.

If they sue you in Dubai I don't know the procedure. If they sue you in Canada you have a chance to defend.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer
Not for now. Thank you for the advice.

You are very welcome.

Take good care.