My girlfriend moved in with me (in the house is my mom, dad,

Customer Question
HISo my girlfriend moved in...
HISo my girlfriend moved in with me (in the house is my mom, dad, me) then we added hershe has a 7 month corgi and lived with me for 2 months - from what i gathered she started coke and seems to be hooked, she hasent been home in 3 weeks now and sounds like she wants to move on.So my question is, what do i do with the dog now because he still lives here but she doesn't - am i allowed to give the dog to the SPCA? or animal shelter? am i allowed to keep the dog? is it still hers? how long do i have to care for the puppy. ( i have grown a bit attached i wont lie, but he is a big handful)P.S. I also paid for the dogs medical bills and have the receipts, 800 dollars in total, so he could get his 3 shots and dewormed
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Canada Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also do i get my money back i spent on the dog if she gets to keep it?can i sue her for the 800 back? i was providing everything when we lived together.
10/11/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did she own the dog before she moved in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yeah, but she kept it at her parents
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if you want you can call me for easier commuincation -(###) ###-####

So this is clearly her dog and you cannot keep it unless she abandons it.

So you have to give her a deadline for removing the dog. And make sure you give her this deadline in writing and have it sent to her in a way you can prove it.

And tell her in the letter that if she doesn't pick up the dog by the deadline you will consider the dog to have been abandoned and take it to a shelter or whatever.

In terms of keeping it, you cannot say take it or it's mine but at some point you may be able to convince a court that she abandoned the dog.

There is not really any basis for suing her for the $800. You paid this voluntarily and so she doesn't owe you the money unless it was agreed she would pay you back.

Does that all make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer