I am currently on sick leave from my job (it has been 2

Customer Question
Hi there, I am...

Hi there, I am currently on sick leave from my job (it has been 2 months now). My employer wanted me to provide doctor note but I don't feel comfortable providing that as I have no intention of going back to work there. Before I was on my sick leave, I was being harassed by my co-workers due to my injury. I am on EI sickness benefit right now. What can I do in my situation as I still need the EI benefit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

BC

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I worked full time, and no contract was sign at the time of employment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do have a lawyer for ICBC claim which I am not sure if that is relevant

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Canada Law
10/7/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

If you lose your job you can get regular EI.

If you don't provide a medical report setting out what you need sick leave your employer will dismiss you. It's really just that simple.

You cannot take the position that you should be on sick leave and not provide medical proof it is needed and also at the same time say you are never going back. That is not what sick leave is.

Does that make sense?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.