I am having a hard time with my subject in school about

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a hard time with my subject in school about Family Law. Is that something that you guys can help me with?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you want to talk to one of these Experts: Family Lawyer, Psychologist?

Yes please

Lawyer's Assistant: Which one?

Family Lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. As the Family Lawyer's Assistant I have a few questions for you. Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Edmonton, AB Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is for school, not a personal family law concern.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
What is the difference between Annulment and Divorce in Canada?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Hi, can we do live phone call?

Family law is complicated and I am happy to help out a bit.

So essentially when there is a valid marriage to end it legally one must get a divorce. There has to be grounds for the divorce. They are a one year separation, adultery or cruelty.

To get an annulment from a legal point of view (as opposed to a religious point of view) the marriage has to be void from the start. So the best example is if one of the parties was already married and didn't get divorce but married a second time.

Does that help?

If you actually want the call and are OK to pay for it in addition to paying for this question then you should click on the call button.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

For example, Me and my husband got married and after getting married realized we couldn't stand each other anymore. So I have decided to just end it up. We're just married for 5 months. But then we are told that we couldnt get an annulment. Annulment was not possible. So we agreed to separate to get the one-year separation arrangement to get a divorce. But we met a long the way and got together/lived togetjer again for 2 weeks and start fighting again. But he gave me a jewelry gift during Christmas time. So we got okay again and start fighting again. Decided to be separated again.Why cant we do an annulment with this kind of situation? We separated to get a one year separataion but we got back together for several times? Does it affect what they call reconciliations on the one year period?
Sorry couldnt do a call. It is exepensive. Thank you though.

I don't understand. I thought this was for school?

Anyway, no. There cannot be an annulment. It is only for invalid marriages.

But the one year separation did not end when you got back together. It is only where the reconciliation is greater than 90 days that the clock starts over.

it is for school. I just used an example for me to understand it better. Sorry.
Sorry for the confusion

OK

So do you understand the law now?

Can I ask few more questions before I could rate you? Thanks sorry

If they are follow-up questions then yes.

If ever that I have found somebody else already even before we got Divorce? Can I call that somebody my common law partner? Because I think in AB, if you live with someone it is automatic that you are "common law partners?"

That's a completely new question and I am not permitted to answer it on this post.

But if you have several more family law questions why not consider signing up for a subscription and then you can ask all the questions and only pay for the subscription?

I will pay for this and the subscription?
Because I thought for a certain topic, I could ask follow up questions. Thanks!
Sorry about this.

Your question is about the difference between divorce and annulment.

Asking about a common law relationship is not a follow and that area of the law is quite complex in Alberta.

Yes you would have already paid for this question and the you would pay for a monthly subscription but you could cancel it if you don't need answer during your full term at school.

Okay sorry. I will just ask follow up questions about divorce.

OK