A Housing corporation is trying to make me pay for their…

Customer Question
Hi. A Housing corporation is...
Hi. A Housing corporation is trying to make me pay for their lawyer fees because they said i have spread false information regarding their townhouses. This happened in 2016 and they contacted me to retract the information so i did. Today they forwarded me an invoice asking me to pay for the legal fees.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Here is the email they sent:Dear Mr. Czan,
Please find attached a copy of an email sent to you by Mr. Kortko, the property manager for Peel Condominium Corporation No. 15 (“PCC 15”) in which Mr. Kortko requested that payment be made by you to the Corporation to refund the Corporation its legal fees incurred as a result of the Notice to Owners that was circulated by you which contained false and misleading information, was not verified by you with the appropriate parties, made false and inaccurate statements and allegations against the board of directors, and which resulted in legal costs to the Corporation.
We are advised that neither you or Sutton Group Realty Systems Inc. has responded to Mr. Kortko. Please advise us as to whether payment will be forthcoming for all of the Corporation’s legal fees in respect of this matter.
Please be advised further advised that should we not receive a reply from you within the next 5 business days, we have been instructed to advise Sutton Group Realty Systems Inc. of this dispute and to commence proceedings to obtain reimbursement from you and/or Sutton Group Realty Systems Inc.
Yours truly,
Description: mg sig 70
Michael Gwynne, B.A., M.B.A., C.P.A., C.G.A., LL.B., LL.M. (T
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that this happened.

But what is your specific question please?

Oh sorry, the question is do I need to pay them? I dont think it is right for them to charge me their legal fees as I complied with their Board of Director to retract my letter. Second, why is the Condominium corporation forwarding me their invoice a year and a half later. I am a real estate agent in Mississauga, Ontario
i have also copied the email sent to me and have attached a file containing the invoice.

I don't see the attachment but that is OK.

So are you saying that you go a letter from the Board directly and immediately complied?

that is correct. they have sent me an email and have complied instantly. I have attached the file once again. Thank you

But it looks like they didn't like the retraction and wanted you to redo it. Is that correct and if so did you?

Will you be able to call me?

I am not able to call so you can wait to see if another expert will or else we can continue online.

Hi we can continue online. I have copied the email below:Thank you Michael for your time in addressing this matter. All point discussed over the phone and in this email are being taken into consideration in preparing the retraction.
I apologize for any inconvenience and any offence I may have caused.
Best regards,
Michael Czan
-----Original Message-----
From: "Michael Gwynne" <*****@******.***>
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 9:08am
To:***@******.***
Cc: "'Thomas Kortko'" <*****@******.***>
Subject: PCC 15 - Notice Sent to Owners by Michael Czan and the Sutton GroupDear Mr. Czan;
As we discussed yesterday, the notice that was circulated to owners within PCC 15 located at Darras Court in Brampton, ON in respect of compliance with the Fire Code was seriously inaccurate and deficient with inaccurate statements made with respect to a “court” order. Furthermore, allegations and comments were made by you and/or the Sutton Group with respect to the board’s decision making and reasoning which were pure conjecture on your part or on the part of the Sutton Group, without any basis or knowledge of fact.
Moreover and most concerning, as you confirmed yesterday, you and/or the Sutton Group did not speak to, or make any attempt to contact the Corporation’s property manager, Brampton Fire or the Office of the Fire Marshal as to the nature of “court” order nor did you carry out any examination of any documents relating to this matter, prior to your circulation of your letter to the owners within PCC 15.
We would advise that there was no “court” order was issued against PCC 15. In fact the Office of the Fire Marshall recently issued a decision on the Corporation’s appeal of the Fire Inspection Order in which the Fire Inspection Order was Rescinded. You may wish to obtain a copy of that decision from the Office of the Fire Marshal.
As I indicated to you yesterday the Corporation and its Board of Directors require a full retraction from you which they will then circulate to the owners within PCC 15.
Please find below the contact information for Mr. Tom Kortko to whom you should sent your proposed retraction for his review.
Mr. Tom Kortko
Maple Ridge Community Management

Are you still wanting a call now?

Hi, I didnt see that you have responded. Can we try this again?

Yes so let me know what you want to do or what your question is.

Thanks

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor