APRIL OF 2009 Over 8 and a half years ago I was pulled over…

Customer Question
APRIL OF 2009Over 8...

APRIL OF 2009Over 8 and a half years ago I was pulled over for driving with a suspended license in Clearwater BC. I don’t remember the charge as this was so long ago but I had to go to court in Clearwater BC a few months after for this. I went with my father John Correia to the courthouse in Clearwater I don’t remember the details of what happened but from what I do recall it was dismissed, or we were going to have to come again but either way I never heard a single thing until. Now this was over 8 and a half years ago and I had just turned 20 so I really do not know all the details. A year or so later (again foggy on the timeline) I was pulled over with my valid BC drivers license in Vernon BC. The officer at the time said that I had a warrant out for my arrest and I would have to come to spend the night in jail because I had a ticket for driving under the influence. Which I have NEVER had. I let the officer know that he was incorrect. I still had to spend the night in the jail in Vernon BC until they spoke with an officer in Clearwater BC to see if I was basically lying or not. Early in the morning the officer let me know that I was free to go and there was no issue. Which at the time I did not understand because I still didn’t really understand why I had been kept there, but I just wanted to go home and sleep because at the time I was working at Kal Fitness in Coldstream BC and my shift started at 5:15 am. From this time on I have NEVER received anything regarding this issue. Not a call, not a letter, not a word. I have moved between BC and Alberta holding valid licenses in both provinces and never being asked once about any of this. I have been pulled over for speeding once in BC since this and even then not one single word about this issue.I am married, I have two kids ages 4 and almost 2. We run a business, we pay taxes, I’m a normal working mom. I’m really confused why this is coming up now as I have never tried to hide where I am. From what I understood this was taken care of and if it wasn’t somewhere along the line of me getting any of the licenses I have had this would have come up. It makes no sense to me. When this all happened I had just turned 20 and I am going to be 29 in a few years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

In canada in British columbia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No this just happened the police station in my area called and said they have a warrant out for my arrest and I am to go to the courthouse tomorrow to deal with it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Canada Law
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Daniel Freudman, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

If there is a warrant out for your arrest, it is generally best to deal with such ASAP. If it turns out the warrant is wrongful, then it's better to sort it out sooner rather than later. Otherwise, at any given point, if you're stopped by police, they may arrest you on the strength of the warrant. After you turn yourself in, you will have the opportunity to fight the charges, give your side of the story in court, and explain when the police made a mistake.

Hopefully that is of assistance.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. If so, would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services. Thank you
Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services. Thank you.