I am looking for an answer. I am a Canadian who just also…

Customer Question
Hi there. I...

Hi there. I am looking for an answer. I am a Canadian who just also recently became an American. I filed for Canadian bankruptcy in 2008 and was discharged just over a year later. I had taken American loans for graduate programs back in 2003. I recently received notice for a large amount of $50,000. From what I recall at the time of bankruptcy my trustee let on my creditors, including American creditors know that I was going bankrupt. I am just wondering if my filing for bankruptcy in Canada had any effect on my American debt? and secondly after speaking with an American lawyer they asked me if in Canada we can go bankrupt on non-government student loans?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

I am in California. The only thing official that I filed is the bankruptcy in Canada back in 2008. I really hadn't heard anything from the American loan people since 2010. at that time I informed them that I was going bankrupt and never heard back. that was 7years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

No nothing in a civil court. Not yet. I only just received notice a couple of weeks ago from a debt collector requesting the money. They then sent me a letter and attached a photocopy of the proimissary note from 2003

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so but is this a free consult?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Bankruptcy Lawyers require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

I see. I don't think I will go that route currently. I am just trying to seek out if I have any protection at all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Canada Law
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am a lawyer in Canada and can only answer about the Canadian law aspects of this question.

If that is OK please let me know if this is a provincial student loan (what province?) or a federal one or both.

I also need to know when you graduated.

Thanks