I am a Naturopathic Doctor who has practiced without a

Customer Question
I am a Naturopathic...

I am a Naturopathic Doctor who has practiced without a patient complaint for the last 22 years. My association has created some policies in the last 6 years which have forced me out of practice. I am fighting the policies as best as possible from within the system but am finding a lot of corruption. The Ombudsman has my case, i've spoken with the Director of Health Professions, but I'm still being forced to close my doors due to the economic repercussions of how the policy has effected me. The HPA is written such that Colleges are not economically responsible, nor are elected councilers, it seems that labour laws only protect employees, and human rights only deals with discrimination. Am I screwed? To be blunt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The province of alberta

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I'm not employed. I'm a professional business owner

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Debra, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

What has the policy done to you specifically? Please clarify what the policy does.

Initially it stated that all ND's in Alberta would have to take a Pharmaceutical Prescribing course and successfully complete the associated exam. This was stated that it was a strategy to get prescribing rights in Alberta. Enough members complained that they said everyone must do the course but only those doing restricted acts would have to right the exam. others still complained doing acupuncture, manipulation and naturopathic injections (like B-12 shots) and they have been given a pass on the exam. I have been a leader in my profession, and have developed my practice around such things as nutritional IV's. prolotherapy, neural therapy, chelation, etc. I did the course and did not pass the associated exams. But there is nothing in the course or on the exam directly pertaining to these activities. Some ND's who went through this in B.C. took 5 tries to pass the exam. I'm 50, my brain doesnt work like it did when I was 30. I have different businesses, I farm, a support a wife and 2 small children. I don't have time to waste. When I looked further in to things, I found Alberta Health was told by our former President that we are deficient in our our pharmacology. A lie, other than relative to prescribing which we do not have prescribing rights. More over, we were told that if we did this we would have prescribing rights in 3 to 5 years. that was 6 years ago and they havnt even applied. It will be a minimum of 7- 10 years if even then beforre we get prescribing rights. By this time the course will be obsolete. The current counsel does not want to admit that they put the cart before the horse and wasted peoples time. They suspended my restricted acts effective June 30th. Without those I would have to rebuild my entire practice from the ground up.

Do the regulations allow for them to use their discretion in deciding what do do with your licence?

They were willing to look the other way as long as I signed a document annually stating that I was actively trying to complete the requirements. When I found out they hadnt even applied for prescribing rights and told the government a different story, I decided to fight them and not purger myself saying I was doing something I had no intention of doing. They hired a lawyer, made her registrar and let her go to work. The Ombudsman would not take the case if I had any recourse still, the registrar said since I went to the ombudsman that was my recourse.
The government gave the college the power to regulate the membership based on reasonableness and public protection. I believe what they have asked is not reasonable, and they have in fact endangered many of my patients for whom I was their primary care.

I am going to opt out. I've tried to do some research but I am not confident that I can come up with a solution for you.

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor